Wisconsin Shares – Child Care Subsidy Program

Girl in denim topWisconsin’s Child Care Subsidy program, sometimes called “W-2 Child Care”, helps families pay for child care. If the parent is eligible, child care can be subsidized for children under the age of 13 (up to 19 for a child with special needs).

A parent who is eligible for child care subsidy must participate in one of the following activities:

Unsubsidized work
Attend High School (if a teen parent under 20 years if age)
Participate in employment skills training and continue to be in unsubsidized employment
Participate in Food Stamp Employment and Training work search or work experince programs
Are a W-2 appliant participating in up-front job search, training, or orientation activities.

If a parent is approved for child care financial assistance, the child must be enrolled in a regulated setting, such as a licensed child care center, a licensed family child care home, or a certified family child care home.

To apply or to find out more about child care financial help, call 1-888-713-KIDS (5437), or your local Wisconsin Job Center, W-2 Agency, or Tribal Agency. You can also visit the Department of Children and Families’ website: www.dcf.wisconsin.gov/childcare/wishares.

Applicants must call ahead for an appointment and a list of what is needed to establish eligibility. The parents’ share of the cost is determined on a sliding scale depending on the family income, family size, and number of children in subsidized care, and lastly the type of child care service choosen.

For more specific, up-to-date information, and eligibility determination, please call your local WI Job Center.

In Sheboygan County, call the Sheboygan County Department of Health and Human Services, Economic Support Division at 920-208-5800.
In Manitowoc County, call Human Services at 920-683-2888.
In Fond du Lac County, call Human Services at 920-929-3187.